Instructions Following Soft Tissue Graft
- After your procedure please do not directly chew in the area of the surgery. Avoid forcefully rinsing or spitting. Some bleeding is normal for the first 24 hours. Biting on a gauze pad placed directly on the wound for 30 minutes will help reduce bleeding. If bleeding continues, please call our office.
- Please take all medications, including mouth rinses, as prescribed.
- Warm salt water rinses (one-half teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water) can be used 4-5 times a day after meals. Brush your teeth with a soft manual toothbrush. Be gentle with brushing the surgical areas. Sutures may be placed after the surgery and most sutures dissolve on their own.
- Swelling and bruising may occur. The use of ice packs following your surgery will help diminish the swelling you may experience in the next 48-72 hours. Applying ice for 20 minutes followed by resting the same amount of time works very well.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Stay away from spicy foods. Also avoid sharp and crunchy foods like tacos, chips and nuts. Tobacco and alcohol should not be used. Alcohol should not be used in combination with pain medications nor antibiotics.
- During office hours, immediate attention will be given to your situation, and you will be seen as soon as possible. After office hours, please give the office call and follow the instructions provided. Your call will be returned as soon as possible. In the event of an emergency, please call our office. If you are experiencing a serious or life threatening emergency, please call 911 or visit the nearest emergency room.
- Follow any other instructions provided by the office on your visit. Please take all medications as prescribed including your prescribed antibiotics or oral rinse to help prevent infection.